Support the Danforth Plant Science Center: Where Discovery Yields Impact

Gifts of Individual Securities

A gift of stock can provide much-needed support for research, education, and other projects at the Danforth Plant Science Center while providing you with financial benefits. Most gifts of appreciated securities that are held long term—more than one year—are fully deductible at fair market value and do not incur a tax on unrealized capital gain.

Gifts of appreciated securities may be the preferred way to make a charitable gift when:

  • You wish to increase your cost basis in a stock you intend to hold;
  • You wish to rebalance your portfolio;
  • You wish to donate cash or holdings in your closely held corporation;
  • You want a higher yield; or
  • A takeover is contemplated.

How to Donate Appreciated Securities

If your broker or bank holds your securities:

1. Ask your bank or broker to transfer your gift of securities to the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center electronically. If your broker needs instructions on electronic transfer, please ask him or her to call the  Office of Development at 314-587-1695.

2. Next, write a brief note identifying yourself (name and contact information) and describing the number of shares, the name(s) of the stock(s), your broker's name and phone number, and whether you wish to direct your gift for the annual fund, endowment or special programs. Mail your note on the same day to:

Matt Wichmer
Danforth Plant Science Center
975 N. Warson Rd.
St. Louis, MO 63132

Or call the Office of Development at 314-587-1695 to provide the above information.

Gifts of Mutual Funds

Mutual fund shares that have appreciated in value make a great charitable gift with tax advantages similar to those of appreciated securities gifts. Mutual fund shares must be transferred by the mutual fund company. Ask your mutual fund company to provide instructions and the forms necessary for making a charitable gift. For questions and more information, please contact Matt Wichmer.


Matt Wichmer
Database & Research Manager
Office of Development

Danforth Plant Science Center
975 N. Warson Rd.
St. Louis, MO 63132 
(314) 587-1695